5 Denture Care Tips Courtesy Of Your Chino, CA Dentist
For those who have lost all their natural teeth, they are often fitted for dentures. Dentures are not a one size fits all, thus they are custom made for each person. Those who do have dentures need to ensure they are taking care of these just as they were their natural teeth to ensure they last for several years and continue to look great.
Types of Dentures
There are a few types of dentures that a person can have. These include:
• Conventional dentures: these are the fully removable dentures that are placed in the mouth once the gums have healed.
• Immediate dentures: This is a removable denture that is placed into the mouth once the natural teeth are removed. These allow a person to never be without teeth.
• Overdenture: This type of denture is used when some teeth are saved. They are fitted around those remaining teeth and often are more stable than regular dentures.
Caring for Dentures
For those who do have dentures, caring for these are somewhat like what you do for natural teeth. These tips include:
1. Rinse the dentures before brushing to remove any debris that may be present.
2. Use a soft bristle toothbrush to care for these teeth and a non-abrasive cleanser.
3. Be sure to brush your entire mouth including gums, cheeks and the roof of your month and tongue to remove plague which can cause oral irritation.
4. Always place the dentures in water when they are not being worn to avoid these teeth warping.
5. You can use adhesives to keep these dentures in place better, however, be sure to talk to your dentist before using an adhesive to ensure it is a good choice for these dentures.
Dentures are a last attempt at giving someone a beautiful smile and ensuring they have a way to chew their food. Most dentists prefer to save the natural teeth if there is any chance at all. For those who do end up with dentures, proper care is essential of your overall oral health. Regular dental routine appointments with your Chino, CA dentist are highly recommended.